DAN'S BIRTHBAE

/ 11.1.16


We recently had a party at home to celebrate my husband's birthday. It was a beautiful afternoon with lots of old friends, oldies, and offspring.

We started with some Hungarian mini-langos and corn on the cob. After the BBQ and salads we ate a huge cake I made inspired by his favourite dessert from Eighty Six Restaurant, the caramel popcorn sundae.

Langos is really easy to make, but not particularly healthy (no big deal!). It is essentially fried bread dough that you then rub with garlic and top with sour cream and cheese. I'm a purist and I just like to rub with garlic and sprinkle with salt.

It is a really popular snack in Hungary that you can easily buy from food vendors. There are many variations, but I used this recipe as it seemed the simplest and was really happy with how they turned out. My grandmother would have fainted over their irregular shapes but they tasted great.

The birthday cake was a chocolate cake with caramel meringue buttercream and caramel popcorn. I used this recipe and it was delicious. I especially loved the caramel swiss meringue buttercream and the addition of coffee to the chocolate batter made it a perfect pick me up.

Because some words are so apt that you don't need to finish saying them for people to know what you mean.

I have been observing with enjoyment the use of the terms 'bae' (meaning babe) and 'hun' (honey) in social settings. I thought it would be fun to created some monochrome cake toppers with these words. Because some words are so apt that you don't need to finish saying them for people to know what you mean. And sometimes people don't want a number on their cake, especially if they are a total babe - age doesn't matter!

They are really cool little cake toppers and elicit lots of smiles. Birthday boy seemed pretty happy with them too.

You can check them out and purchase them in my shop.

No comments

Post a Comment

the creative muster. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.